Saturday, October 9, 2010

Bye Mum, See you soon


We held each other close
for the seconds that remained
and I felt your body sob
as I offered my refrain of consolation.

Oh, it hurts!
These tearing seconds that stretch
all the way back to a time
when I was yours, you mine.
Oh, it hurts to see us this way.

And that hall is so long
and my piddly-puddly steps sound squishy
in my own departmental ears,
all that's left, tears, fears,
laughter without reason -
crushing love on a slushy afternoon.

We're sailors all and the world swells.
Concrete tilts, we heave and buckle
as another wave passes
and another and another after that.

Don't look back cause if you do
you will see your mother shuffling after you,
casting her beautiful farewells,
her garbled spells full of their own sweet magic.
Don't look back cause if you do
you will know that she is crying too
and there isn't enough room between us
for all this yearning.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember to choose a profile before submitting your comment. Choose 'Anonymous' if none of the other selections work, but say who you are if you want people to know.